Good Books Lift You!

Good Books Lift You!

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Review: I See You

I See You I See You by Clare Mackintosh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

‘I See You’ is a decent crime thriller. The story is good and does keep you hooked by shifting suspicion among its many characters in a subtle manner. It overall somehow falls a little short in packing a punch in both the buildup of the story, and the suspense.

Zoe Walker works at a real estate firm and one day sees her photo in the classifieds section of a newspaper. Surprisingly, this leads to a dating site which she has never registered with. Very soon, Zoe learns that other women previously advertised have become victims of crimes which makes Zoe fearful for her safety. Her home situation is complex as well with a previous divorce, a current live-in relation and two teenage children. Her son has made some mistakes in the past and her daughter is keen to be an actress which Zoe thinks is impractical.

Zoe gets the feeling that she is being watched. PC Kelly Swift takes a personal interest in Zoe’s case including finding the commonality with the other women whose photos have appeared in the classifieds. The key to the puzzle behind the crimes seems to be the dating site FindTheOne.com.
With several characters in the story, and an incident here and there, the suspicion constantly shifts. The descriptions around Zoe's and Kelly's families does strengthen the characterization, but also slackens the pace.

This story had more potential but is still a good and easy read.

I noticed after reading the book, that many have recommend the author’s other book “I Let You Go” as a more engrossing read which I hope to read shortly.

My rating: 3.5 / 5.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment